Many of our patients tell us they look tired — but don’t feel that way! Because droopy eyelids can make us look older than we are or feel, cosmetic blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) has become one of the most popular cosmetic surgical procedures in the US. Every year, thousands of men and women choose upper eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty ) to improve the way they look.
Blepharoplasty removes excess skin and fat from the upper eyelids. Most patients see droopy eyelids as a signing of aging; some, though, are younger and having saggy or puffy upper eyelids seems to run in their family. Either way, upper eyelid blepharoplasty — for the right patient — can make them look younger and more awake.
Dr. Davis begins by gently injecting local anesthetic into the upper eyelids right in his South Texas medical center office. Patients who want some degree of relaxation can be given a mildly sedating tablet in the office as long as they have someone who can drive them home afterwards.
After the anesthetic, we remove excessive skin and fat, control any bleeding, and close the incision lines carefully with very fine sutures. After about an hour resting in our office following the procedure the patient can go home. We ask all patients to return for a post-op check the next day and then return in about a week to remove the sutures.
Who are the best candidates for Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)?
Good candidates for eyelid surgery are men and women who have generally healthy eyes and realistic expectations. Any one or combination of the following conditions may suggest that you are a good candidate for eyelid surgery:
- Excess skin obscuring the natural fold of the upper eyelids
- Loose skin hanging down from the upper eyelids, perhaps impairing vision
- A puffy appearance to the upper eyelids, making the eyes look tired
- You have had a recent professional eye exam that shows you to be free of eye disease that creates extra risk, such as a retinal detachment or untreated glaucoma.
- You are willing to carefully follow our pre- and post-operative instructions and let us know immediately if you have any problems related to the surgery.